Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Proud Sister

Being told you are worthless and stupid by people's words and actions for almost seven years of your life does extensive damage. It leaves one broken and scarred. The process to mend a spirit that has been so greatly crushed takes a great deal of time, patience and love. For my sweet Maxim this is sadly the case. When those are the lies you are fed as a child, they soon begin to feel true and no longer feel like lies, but facts. Everyone needs to have a little self esteem, I'm not saying the prideful, boasting type, but to know your life matters, it is of worth.


As I stood and watched Maxim compete in his gymnastics competition Saturday night, I saw a boy whose strength and ability in the sport of gymnastics to be incredible. Yet as Maxim performed his routines he seemed unaware of how naturally talented he was. My heart was filled with joy and pride for this sweet boy. This was my brother who was told he was worthless, couldn't obey, wouldn't fit in, and labeled unadoptable. Now here he was proving those people wrong, being a part of a team, cheering his teammates on, showing he was worth something, and not just because he could do well in gymnastics. I'd love and be proud of him even if he couldn't do another routine again. His life matters, he is loved, he is cherished.

 
 
 
When it came time for awards and over the speakers I heard "Maxim Lukens, 1st Place New England Champion", the look of joy, shock, wonder, could this really be happening, and oh did I mention joy which came across Maxim's face was priceless. I will not soon forget the infectious smile that spread across and lit up his entire face. That is a moment in time I want to keep forever in my mind.


After the meet Maxim was sharing how he couldn't believe he was good enough to have won, the lie he was fed for so many years still haunts him. I know one competition won't fix years of heartache and scars, but this was a loud voice saying, "you are not worthless, you do have talents." Maxim's win in the competition was more than just a win in a sport, it was a victory, defying the lie he had been fed for so long. I know we can't find our worth in human praises. We must find our true value in Him, and over the past two years God has brought much healing to Maxim's hurting heart. And I believe he used this instance to do just that, to bring a little more healing to Maxim's still hurting soul. God has given Maxim a talent and I am so thrilled he has the ability to use it.

His older brothers were just a little happy for him :)

1 comment:

  1. Tears streaming down as I read this...sadness at all he has been through and so much happiness at how far he has come, so wicked thankful God brought him to us. Love our amazing little gymnast! He is our little blessing for sure! Wish I could give him a hug right now! Xoxo All the feelings from the meet on Saturday really coming back, such an emotional night. So wicked proud of our little man!

    ReplyDelete