Saturday, March 21, 2015

Rise Up!

I have trouble sleeping many nights and what my mind goes to many times is the plight of the orphans. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am not someone who cries easily, but when it comes to orphans I have wept many tears on their behalf - they have my heart. Though their names remain unknown to me they are known by my most powerful God. He is the one who has set them on my mind, and I am thankful for that.  Left to my own I wouldn't desire it, wouldn't desire the hurt and struggle that comes along with it. Before we adopted for the first time I always had a heart for orphans, but once we welcomed my siblings into our home it became like a match lit under me. It is now constantly on my heart and mind. For me I can't not desire homes and a safe place for children to be, especially after hearing what my dear siblings have endured.
Am I crazy?  Probably,  but do I care? Nope! I have heard and read of countless stories of families adopting and feeling alone and not supported. Sadly, often by brothers and sisters in Christ no less. Shame on them, shame on us! People mean well many times in their objections to someone adopting.  They are concerned about a variety of things - the struggle you will have, finances, health, the strain it could put on a marriage, the time it will take away from your "own kids",  space in your home, not the right time, and so on. May I ask who then is supposed to adopt? If the body of Christ is not willing to lay themselves aside to care for the least of these who will? Are we to wash our hands clean and be blind to their plight? I have told my mother many times "I worry too much about what people think of me in many areas of my life, but when it comes to caring for orphans, I don't care." But that does not mean I don't care if people support us, if people are there with a lending hand, a praying mind, a loving heart. I want those things, I pray for those things.  But if someone thinks I'm crazy or my family is crazy and shouldn't adopt, shame on them. Are you willing to? How can we always expect someone else to do the church's job? (James 1:27) And I have said this before,  not everyone is called to adopt, but everyone is called to care for the orphans.  Pray for them, help a family who has adopted, bring a meal, lend a caring ear, financially support orphans or families desiring to adopt but don't have the means. We should be so moved by the orphans of this world that we can't just sit around and not think or pray for them day after day. We are called to!
Maybe my thoughts haven't made any sense (these are some middle of the night ramblings :) but I pray my heart for orphans and my plea for the church to rise up came through. I pray that you know all of what I have said I say in love, love for my fellow brothers and sisters, love for the orphans.
I have seen what having no one to love and care for you does to someone and I wouldn't wish that on a worst enemy, let alone helpless orphans.
Pray, pray fervently for the orphans!!!


~Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment